7/2/09

America the Beautiful

Was sitting around after chairing an easy meeting today wondering what I could say this week that you all haven't heard before. American Freedom and Independence have been drummed into our heads from a very young age, the propaganda we have listened to has been for the most part true but unrealistic and often ignored by our lawmakers and governing bodies. Still one of the strongest messages I learned in grade school was taught because I attended a school that was divided into ethnic minorities. There were the new immigrants, Russians, Hungarians and Yugoslavians. Then, there were the Italians, Irish and Puerto Ricans that had lived in the area for a while. And finally, there were the Wasps and half breed Indians plus a few orientals and kids from India. What we didn't have were any Afro-American students until I reached sixth grade.
From second grade on we were taught that America (United States of) is the great melting pot. For my entire life I have taken that to be gospel. When I learned that it took a Supreme Court decision to allow the black and white races to intermingle in marriage I thought the basics of my education were false. That moment may have been when I started a deeper questioning of the world around me, I had always questioned authority (relentlessly, if you believe my teachers). I went through high school thinking I was not gay. I dated girls. First, a American-German girl whose parents had arrived in the USA a few months before she was born. Then there was a Venezuelan girl who had been adopted by a couple that had lived there while working for an oil company. The last girl in high school was Yugoslavian, her parents had left their homeland during one of Tito's persecutions.
My first crush on a man was a fellow freshman in college, he was fittingly from Czechoslavian parents. When I finally became active my first lover was an Afro-American from New York City, I don't know which shocked my parents the most. I rapidly went through a few other first generation Americans, from England, Hungary and Germany.
I finally settled down with a seventh generation Hispanic guy, his mother was nearly pure Spanish and his father was a more American mix of Latin and native peoples. So, why am I telling you this? I am pure Wasp, Welsh, Irish, Scot and English. My life has been one of believing in the melting pot and always vocally supporting any mixing of ethnicities and races that couples find themselves developing. Today we shall look at some of those ethnicities that make us an unbelievably diverse country.



Partially Greek. And? Turkish?


German.

Irish and?



Latino.












Any of these latin boys is welcome in my home.

Hispanic with an African mix.







All Afro-American. There is a special beauty that has been created by the mixing of races that is hard to define but easy on the eyes.


Korean-American. War may have been dirty and hateful but there was some beauty that resulted


Slovakian.



An undefined mix.





These fotos are really Asian, but they could be the Asian-Americans down the block


Arab boys that I could see walking down the main street of the city or the nearest mall.

While I believe this boy is Hispanic, I find it difficult to say why. If he is, the balls should be slightly darker, the bush a bit wilder. It could be a lighting trick, but the skin tone is more Asian.
The lips and nose African. The eyes and hair, Brazilian. I guess what I'm saying is that he could have any background and his beauty makes it completely irrelevant.